URGENT: Iceland Fagradalsfjall Volcano Broke Second Wall Barrier, Flooding Lower Valley/ Apocalypse

2 Просмотры
5 June 2021: The Western Wall or Second Wall is now flooded.
Fagradalsfjall (Icelandic pronunciation: ​[ˈfaɣraˌtalsˌfjatl̥]) is a shield volcano on the Reykjanes Peninsula, around 40 kilometres (25 mi) from Reykjavík, Iceland. Its highest summit is Langhóll (385 m (1,263 ft)). A volcanic eruption began on 19 March 2021 in Geldingadalir to the south of Fagradalsfjall, which is still emitting fresh lava as of 1 June 2021. Due to its relative ease of access from Reykjavík, the volcano has become an attraction for both the locals and foreign tourists alike.
The mountain Fagradalsfjall is a volcano of the Krýsuvík-Trölladyngja volcanic system on the Reykjanes Peninsula in southwest Iceland. It is situated within a zone of active rifting at the divergent boundary between the Eurasian and North American plates. The Krýsuvík volcanic system has been moderately active in the Holocene, with the most recent eruptive episode before the 21st century having occurred in the 12th-century′ CE.

Other scientists propose that Fagradalsfjall could represent a separate volcanic system.

The unrest and eruption in Fagradalsfjall are part of a larger unrest period on Reykjanes Peninsula including unrest within several volcanic systems and among others also the unrest at Þorbjörn volcano next to Svartsengi and the Blue Lagoon during the spring of 2020.
Beginning December 2019 and into March 2021, a swarm of earthquakes, two of which reached magnitude , rocked the Reykjanes peninsula, sparking concerns that an eruption was imminent, because the earthquakes were thought to have been triggered by dyke intrusions and magma movements under the peninsula. Minor damage to homes from a 4 February 2021 magnitude earthquake was reported. In the three weeks prior to the eruption, more than 40,000 tremors were recorded by seismographs.

On 19 March 2021, an effusive eruption started at approximately 8:45 PM local time in Geldingadalir ([ˈcɛltiŋkaˌtaːlɪr̥] "gelding valleys", the singular "Geldingadalur" [-lʏr̥] is also often used) to the south of Fagradalsfjall, the first known eruption on the peninsula in about 800 years. Fagradalsfjall has been dormant for 6,000 years. The eruptive activity was first announced by the Icelandic Meteorological Office at 9:40 PM.[23] Reports state a 600–700-metre-long (2,000–2,300 ft) fissure vent began ejecting lava,[24] which covered an area of less than 1 square kilometre ( sq mi). Currently, the lava flows pose no threat to residents, as the area is mostly uninhabited, although there is potential for sulfur dioxide pollution.[5]

The eruption has been called Geldingadalsgos ([-ˌtalsˌkɔːs] "Geldingadalur eruption"). As of 26 March, the main eruptive vent was at N, W, on the site of a previous eruptive mound. The eruption may be a shield volcano Eruption, which may last for several years. It is visible from the suburbs of the capital city of Reykjavík and has attracted a large number of visitors. However, high levels of volcanic gases such as carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide make parts of the area inaccessible.

The eruption pattern changed on 2 May from a continuous eruption and lava flow to a pulsating one, where periods of eruptions alternate with periods of inactivity. The magma jets became stronger, producing lava fountains of 300 m (980 ft) in height, visible from Reykjavík, with the highest one measured at 460 m (1,510 ft). The lava flow rate in the following weeks was also double that of the average for the first six weeks.

The increase in lava flow is unusual, as eruption outputs typically decrease with time. Scientists from the University of Iceland hypothesize that there is a large magma reservoir deep under the volcano, not the typical smaller magma chamber associated with these kinds of eruptions, that empty over a short time. They also believe that there is a discrete vent under the lava feeding the main lava flow. The eruption may create a new shield volcano if it continues for long enough.

Two defensive barriers were created starting 14 May in an attempt to stop lava flowing into the Nátthagi [ˈnauhtˌhaijɪ] valley where telecommunication cables are buried, and further on to the southern coastal road. However, the lava soon flowed over the top of eastern barrier 22 May, and cascaded down to the Nátthagi.

Live :
Зарубежная фантастика
Комментариев нет.